TECHNICAL PRODUCT STANDARDS
The technical product standards used in the automotive sector consists of a large number of Laws, Decrees, Regulations and Directives that establish the construction characteristics of road vehicles. The European Vehicle Type Approval Framework Directive (ECWVTA) 2007/46/EC refers to a comprehensive set of EC Directives, EU Regulations and UN-ECE Regulations that set out requirements and test methods that apply to the completed vehicle, separate technical unit and its components.
Of particular current relevance, even if not included in the framework of European Vehicle Type, are the European regulations that set the objectives for the reduction of average CO2 emissions from passenger cars (EC Reg. 443/2009) and light commercial vehicles (EC Reg. 510/2011). A similar provision for trucks, buses and heavy-duty vehicle combinations is currently being studied by the European Commission.
In the sector of equipment and fittings installed on commercial vehicles and trailers, in addition to the European Vehicle Type regulations there are a number of important European Union or International legislative acts regulating the following aspects:
- Safety in the use of machinery (Directive 2006/42/EC)
- Outdoor noise pollution (Directive 2000/14/EC)
- Safety when transporting pressurised equipment (Directive 2010/35/EU)
- Hygiene in the transportation of perishable foodstuffs (International ATP Agreement)
- Safety in the transportation of dangerous goods (International ADR Agreement)